to SUMI PAINTING
with YUMING ZHU
1-DAY WORKSHOP! $95
Sunday, December 4, 2016
11:00 am - 5:00 pm
Register at 206-223-9599
Sunday, November 20, 2016
11:00 - 12:30
In the DEMO, Yuming will create a painting from one of his sketchbook pieces. As Yuming paints using Sumi techniques, perspectives and aesthetics, participants will see in real-time how to rearrange and transform any sketch (landscapes, flowers, animals, portraits--anything) into a studio quality painting. As an added bonus, Yuming will highlight the unique effects created on rice paper by Sumi colors and inks. The demo previews Yuming's December 4th Workshop.
Bring your sketchbook (you can use Yuming's sketchbook if you don't have one of your own)! You will use two different types of rice paper (raw-absorbent and sized) to learn the different effects made by just the paper. Sumi brush strokes and techniques will be emphasized.
Everyone will work using Sumi perspective, Asian art arrangement, composition, color treatment and other artistic approaches such as value, light and shading from the non-Western viewpoint. The entire workshop will build your comparative knowledge between Oriental/Sumi and Western/European aesthetics and processes. Knowledge of Sumi materials, and the chop-its use and tradition will be shared.
- SUPPLY LIST
- * "Best Combination" flow brush
- * "Rat Tail" fine line
- * "Jade Bamboo-Magic Brush"
- * "Northern Wolf" professional stiff brush
- * "Red Bean" small brush
- * recommended: set of Nara Hake brushes
- COLOR/INK/INK STONE
- * bottle of "Yi De" professional grade liquid Sumi ink
- * "Chine Premium" top quality ink stick
- * Ink stone (recommend "PIA Silver Line 4" Round, or "PIA Silver Line Rectangular")
- * Marie Sumi watercolor 12 color set (12 ml each)
- * Paragon Sketch Book green line
- * Green Line paper roll or large sheet
- * Best Shuan roll (10-sheet roll)
- * Cicade Wing (sized landscape paper)
- * "Ivy" badger/white color wool felt (20 x 30")
- * 2- or 3-well white porcelain brush washer
- * rectangular porcelain palette with built-in brush rest
- * steel paper weight
- * plastic expandable paper tube (for carrying rolled paintings)