Sunday, October 9, 2016
10:30 am - 12:00 pm
Glenn Brill, Artist Educator for Strathmore Artist Papers™, will present The Essentials of Paper, a 90-minute hands-on presentation exploring Strathmore Fine Art Papers. He will focus on how understanding a paper’s fiber, weight, texture, surface, grade and permanency affect an artist’s, your choice and usage of fine art paper.
Attendees will participate in hands-on exercises, using a selection of papers and drawing materials. The goal of the presentation is to provide you with information to select the right papers for their medium and techniques as a working artist.
- The presentation will cover all aspects of fine art drawing papers including:
- History of Writing Surfaces: parchment to papyrus to paper
- History of Paper: from China to Europe
- How Paper is Made: past and present
- Handmade paper vs Machine made paper
- Components of Paper: fiber, watermark, surface texture, sizing, weight, permanence
- Environmentally friendly papers and alternative fibers: cotton, wood, hemp
- Types of Paper: newsprint, sketching, drawing, Bristol, illustration, charcoal, pastel, watercolor, mixed-media, printmaking
- Grades of Paper: 300, 400, 500 Series: for students, artists, professionals
- Paper Storage
- Strathmore papers& literature
- Selection of drawing materials
- Watercolor brush
- Attendees will receive FREE:
Glenn is the recipient of two National Endowment for the Arts Visual Fellowships. He has authored “Beyond the Brush” and co-authored “The Acrylic Handbook”. His artworks reside in permanent collections of the Archives of American Art, Brooklyn Museum, San Jose Museum and Phoenix Art Museum. Glenn holds a BFA from the California College of Arts and Crafts. Glenn completed an MFA at Cranbrook Academy of Art and is a Tamarind Master Printer. His current work is available at www.glennbrill.com.