|colored pencil study for Pierre's Garden|
by MARY SHEA
|oil on canvas 24x24|
"The Garden After Bonnard"
with MARY SHEA
1-DAY WORKSHOP: $85
001 900 183
Sunday, May 13, 2018
10:30 am - 4:30 pm
Register at 206-223-9599
Mary's all-day workshop will allow participants to experience the pleasure of drawing with color. After Mary's introduction showing how she and many other artists have used color when drawing, there will be drawing ‘warm-ups’, time for practicing contour and gesture, line and tone, followed by several formal (yet fun) color ‘exercises’. After a break for lunch, students will focus on a longer still life drawing and build their confidence in using color as an integral part of a drawing.
The workshop is appropriate for adults with a modest amount of drawing experience as well as more practiced artists who wish to improve their skills.
* DRAWING PAPER: A pad of heavier weight drawing paper (with a smooth surface). I recommend:
** Canson XL Mixed Media Pad – 11x 14 It will be used for both wet and dry drawing so it needs some strength.
** one sheet of nice paper - for example a sheet (22” x 30”) of Rising Stonehenge (white), or Rives BFK (22” x 30”) (white) OR a special paper like Hannemule – we will talk about options and you can buy a sheet on break!
* COLOR PENCILS: I recommend Prismacolor for the work we will be doing; they have a slight softness that allows for a density of color. 12 color set
* WATERCOLOR BRUSHES: You only need to bring one, but feel free to bring a few if you like. The one that you’ll need should be a round one, not a flat (the square ones). You’ll be using it to both draw and paint, so it should not be too small. #8 or #10 is a good size for our work.
* WATERCOLORS: If you have watercolors, bring what you have – at least a Red, Yellow and Blue. If you are buying, I recommend Daniel Smith’s. Note: the workshop is not a watercolor workshop, the watercolors will be used more as a drawing element than a painting one!
** Hansa Yellow Medium
** Permanent Red Deep
** Ultramarine Blue
* GRAPHITE PENCILS: Bring at least two, not hard ones, preferably 2B and 4B.
* ERASERS: (1 or 2) – a solid one, like Staedtler or Pink Pearl; not the kneaded ones
* PENCIL SHARPENER: nothing fancy – hand held, pocket sized: there are many to choose from
* REMEMBER TO PACK A LUNCH UNLESS YOU WISH TO EAT OUT!!
email with any questions: firstname.lastname@example.org