Acrylic and Mixed Media
with DIANE CULHANE
Saturday, November 5, 2016
10:00 am - 4:00 pm
Register at 206-223-9599
Sunday, October 23, 2016
2:00 - 3:30 pm
Diane Culhane's For the Love of a Tree celebrates the glory of a tree, the beauty and magnificence of the blessings trees bestow. Trees function for the artist as a source of design and composition. Leaves, seeds, branches, flowers, and the universe of fruits (including nuts) provide a bountiful visual vocabulary that we almost instinctively use to create paintings. To celebrate, or focus composition and topic on trees is a set up for success.
The day will begin with exploring. We will SEE, LOOK, FEEL, experience the presence of trees. Then with acrylic paints and mixed media we will complete a painting on wood panel or canvas (format 18”x18” or 20”x 20”).
Teaching tools and exercises will include developing forms with line, color and value with value being the most important component. Value exercises will help you experience pushing and pulling the intensity of color.
Painting trees, celebrating trees is a lovely context for you to develop and refine your skills in making a fabulous piece of art work. The day will also engage us in conversations about problem solving our paintings as well as the struggles we encounter as artists.
- SUPPLY LIST
- one! 20x20 or 18x18 wood panel or canvas. Prepare with gesso in advance of class.
- two 4x4 or 6x6 wood panels or canvases. Prepare with gesso in advance of class.
- ACRYLIC PAINTS: bring any assortment of the following.
- Warm Colors- colors of the sun
- Cool Colors- colors of the ocean
- My favorite paint colors for this class are Nickel Azo Yellow, Quinacridone-Nickel Azo Gold, Jenkins Green, Dioxazine Purple, Payne's Grey, Titanium White and Titian Buff
- BRUSHES: bring what you have. The following are suggestions.
- Fan (my favorite), an assortment of Flats, Size 2 or 4 Script brush
- OTHER MATERIALS
- gel medium: gloss or matte
- charcoal pencil
- gel pen or thin sharpie marker
- drawing paper
- water container
Learn, Grow, Explore
Nurture your ART and your LIFE