DOODLE & SKETCH YOUR WAY to GOOD ART: a JOYFUL, NATURAL WAY to DRAW
with JAMIE BOLLENBACH
For people who want to begin or re-grow real and practical art drawing skills.
6 CLASSES: $175
2:00 - 4:00 pm
May 17, 19, 24, 26, 31 and June 2, 2016
Register at 206-233-9599
We're all born with an instinct to draw and see. Little kids take to it right away. Just get something to draw with and something to draw and you're ready to doodle. There's something great about the word "doodle". It's casual and personal. Just you, your pen and pad. You're ready to go without anyone telling you it's bad or good or not right.
It's joyful to relax with a sheet of paper, to just play with shapes and patterns and lines, to see how they look. It's a pleasure to not worry too much, not think about making something to impress someone. When you sketch, you get to take a closer look: what does a tree or a building or a person kind of look like? What might it look like?
Now. What about really excellent art. How can just sketching and doodling make your art better? What about the secrets and tricks that professional artists use? HERE IS THE SECRET: more than any short cut or trick doodling and sketching over time will absolutely improve every aspect of your art.
We'll help show you how to:
- Doodle and sketch regularly. Let yourself make a truckload of mistakes!
- Learn to really SEE again. Observe with fresh eyes every new subject. Doodle and sketch everything you see and imagine. Let everything get out on paper.
- Feel out your visual thinking and observation. Draw easily and casually not worrying about making mistakes.
- Use cubes and tubes and other basic shapes to work out how things look in three dimensions.
- Work out light and shadow so that light seems to shine from within your work.
- Construct better proportions and take confident, easy approaches to perspective.
- Most importantly, use casual drawing to work out what your subject truly is. Draw to understand what is important to you, to understand what your artwork is about.