blogger

configure text daniel smith the store for artists
Click a Month Tab Above to See Scheduled Demonstrations and Workshops.

FREE Expressive Portraits Demo using Mixed Media with Joe Mac Kechnie

Eagle Crest
Photos Courtesy of Joe Mac Kechnie

Sunday, August 7th, 2011 at 11am & 1:45pm.
Joe Mac Kechnie will be demonstrating multiple way to create “Expressive Portraits using Mixed Media”.


Brown Eyes
“Most will agree that measurements and proportions are keys to creating successful portraits. However, many portrait artists are successful in producing accurate likenesses but often the paint of r drawing lacks emotional content that engages the viewer. After having done hundreds of portraits, I became bored with producing technically correct paintings so I began to experiment to make things more interesting. At my August 7th Demo, I will introduce several ideas and techniques that should make your portrait artworks more interesting and hopefully cause a viewer to spend more time studying your artwork. I will introduce:

a.) Several ways to start portrait painting.
b.) How to capture “emotional moments using a model or when photographing interesting subjects.
c.) How to use different mediums to create interesting textures and moods.
d.) Incorporating the “Less is more” strategy.
e.) Distorting images.

The Artist
Artists that inspire me to seek an expressive difference are Alex Powers, Di Vinci, Bill Evens, Carol Carter, Guy Denning, to name a few. I will be using inks, watercolor, gouache, acrylics, pastels, Mylar, and watercolor paper. In other words, I will be using any material that will produce the effect I am envision at the time. My approach often frees me up to be more expressive, more right brained and spontaneous. I let the painting tell me which way to go rather than forcing it to some preconceived standard.”


MIXED MEDIA: Expressive Portraits using Mixed Media with Joe Mac Kechnie
Sunday, August 7th, 2011
11am & 1:45pm - FREE!

This should be a fascinating demo for all artists interested in portraiture or learning more expressive techniques that you can adapt for your own artwork - remember - it’s FREE!
By the way, Joe is our most recent DANIEL SMITH Catalog Cover Artist, his Watercolor Painting "Tuscan Hillside" in on the Cover of the DANIEL SMITH Reference Catalog 2011-2012 - Congratulations Joe!

No comments:

Post a Comment